Thursday, October 29, 2009

jelly and jam and preserves

What is the difference between jelly, jam, preserves and marmalade? They are all fruit preserves made with pectin and sugar. "Jelly" is made from.Preserves currently represent 34% of the total sales in the overall fruit spread category (jams, jellies, preserves, fruit spreads, marmalades). Jams make up 22% of sales with jelly sales close behind at 21% of sales. ...Sugar Plum Fairy Preserves Plum Nugget Preserves Plum Port Preserves Apple Sass with Calvados and cardamom. Apple Sass with spices and sparkling cider. Hot Fireman's Pear Jam with chipotle and cinnamon. I Eat Brooklyn Hot Pepper Jelly ...Ask A Jam Queen. Go to our FAQs page where the jam queens answer your most intimate jam questions and expel deceitful rumors. Find out the answers to such zingers as: Q: What's the difference between jam, jelly, preserves, marmalade and ...I don't think it's a coincidence that my favourite is one of the rarer Berry Street Jam & Jelly Co. preserves. I'd always assumed it was a fruit sourcing issue. On the farm in Alberta, we had a crab apple tree right in the yard, ...In the South, we pretty much make jam, jelly, preserves and chutney out of everything that grows. My mom calls it the "make do" mentality. I even made some watermelon rind preserves once. You never throw out anything you can transform ...One of the most popular ways to preserve food is canning. Some of the best foods to can are tomatoes, cucumbers and various fruits in the form of jams and jelly. Strawberry jam and grape jelly are some of the most favorite preserves. ...Homemade jam and jelly recipes a�� fruit jelly recipes, fruit jams, mixed fruit jam recipes, easy marmalade recipes, jelly jams and preserves, sugar free jam, sugar free jelly, fruit compote and fruit syrup recipes. a�� Read more ...You just saw that photo, I know - but I don't have one of just the jam. I find it really hard to take decent photos of jam, marmalades and preserves by the way - I don't want to waste any for just a photo, and I never seem to manage ...Easy Tomao jam recipes and tomato jelly and preserves. Made from fresh tomatoes, these tomato jam, jelly, preserve recipes are easy and delicious.
Smuckers, Welch's, or other?
Grape, Strawberry, or other?
Jelly, Jam, or Preserves?
Peter Pan, Jiff, or other?
Smooth or Crunchy?
Fluff, no Fluff? ( you know - Fluffernutter Marshmallow?)
White, Wheat, or other?
Wonder Bread, or other?

Smucker's Strawberry Preserves, Peter Pan smooth, on white Wonder Bread, no Fluff for me!!








Breakfast burrito
1 flour tortilla (7" diameter)
1 scrambled egg (in 1 tsp soft
margarine)
1/3 cup black beans*
2 tbsp salsa
1 cup orange juice
1 cup fat-free milk
-----------------------------------
Hot cereal
1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
2 tbsp raisins
1 tsp soft margarine
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 cup orange juice
--------------------------------
Cold cereal
1 cup bran flakes
1 cup fat-free milk
1 small banana
1 slice whole wheat toast
1 tsp soft margarine
1 cup prune juice
-----------------------------------
1 whole wheat English muffin
2 tsp soft margarine
1 tbsp jam or preserves
1 medium grapefruit
1 hard-cooked egg
1 unsweetened beverage
-------------------------------------
Cold cereal
1 cup shredded wheat cereal
1 tbsp raisins
1 cup fat-free milk
1 small banana
1 slice whole wheat toast
1 tsp soft margarine
1 tsp jelly
------------------------------------
French toast
2 slices whole wheat French toast
2 tsp soft margarine
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 medium grapefruit
1 cup fat-free milk
--------------------------------------
Pancakes
3 buckwheat pancakes
2 tsp soft margarine
3 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 cup strawberries
3/4 cup honeydew melon
1/2 cup fat-free milk


Where I can buy jelly sugar (as well called Jam sugar) in the USA?

It is for for making preserves like jams and marmalades! It i not the same as preserving sugar, which does not contain pectin.

Thanks in advance!
I this Sure-Jell only the pectin? I am looking for Gelierzucker (German), it is allready the right mixture with sugar and pectin. But when I can't find that Gelling sugar here, doi I have to mix that Sure Jelly with sugar myself? How di I know the proportions????





Well I joined spark teens and they made out a meal plan for me..
I am used to eating small snacks throughout the day and maybe an actual meal in the afternoon or morning

this is what it is:
Breakfast:
15 Grapes
Milk, 1 cup non fat
Instant, Quick, and Regular Oats Cereal, 0.75 cup, cooked
Bread, whole wheat (including toast), 1 slice, thin (3-3/4" x 5" x 3/8")Added
Jams, preserves, jelly
Yogurt, fruit, 0.5 container (4oz)

Lunch:
Baby Carrots, raw, 5 mediumAdded
Peanut Butter, smooth style, 1 tbsp
Peaches, fresh, 1 large (2-3/4" dia) (approx 2-1/2 per lb)
Bread, whole wheat (including toast), 1 slice, thin (3-3/4" x 5" x 3/8")
Bread, whole wheat (including toast), 1 slice, thin (3-3/4" x 5" x 3/8")
Jams, preserves, jelly, 1 tbsp


Dinner:
Spinach, frozen, 0.75 cup
Louis Rich Turkey Bacon, 4 serving
Cheddar Cheese, 1 oz
Peaches, fresh, 1 large (2-3/4" dia) (approx 2-1/2 per lb)
Bread, pita, whole-wheat, 1.5 pita, small (4" dia)
Bread, pita, whole-wheat, 1.5 pita, small (4" dia) (why are there duplicate items?
Brown Sugar, 3 tsp packed
Red Ripe Tomatoes, 1 large whole (3" dia)

snacks:

Oranges, 1 fruit (2-5/8" dia)
Bread, pita, whole-wheat, 1 pita, small (4" dia)
Bread, pita, whole-wheat, 1 pita, small (4" dia) (why are there duplicate items?)
Spicy Eggplant Dip RECIPE, 0.5 serving

I know I don't have to follow it if I don't want but I'm just curious.. do you think I should make myself eat like that? I think since my dad is European we always eat like Europeans, but should I change to this kinda diet? because this diet is to get enough calories, calcium, carbs, and fat a day, that I need to be a healthy adult..

do you think I could just take vitamins? or would getting it from actual food be better..





I'm looking to make some jams and jellies for Christmas gifts this year, but I have no idea how long this stuff lasts. I'd like to make it ahead of time, but what's a good life expectancy for this stuff? I'm making strawberry jam, blueberry jam, pear and lime jelly.

Thanks!!


classic: sliced white bread w/ Skippy (jiff, peter pan, etc) and welch's grape jelly (or similar variant)

toasted classic: same as above, but with the bread toasted.

hippy style: organic trader joe's pb with chunky seedy fruit preserves on whole grain bread.

toasted hippy style

fancy: baguette, any pb, high class jam sold in very small jars.

grilled: made in a skillet w. butter, like a grilled cheese.

cracker pb&j: pb&j spread between any type of cracker (not very popular)

extra pb: extra pb

extra j: extra j
stuffed and juicy... or thinly spread?


Is it possible to make jelly or jam or preserves out of lettuce? My backyard neighbor just harvested a large crop of iceburg lettuce and keeps giving me heads and heads of the stuff. To be frank, I'm getting to be tired of salad every night and in the hard months of winter I would like to save some.
Can I make jelly out of lettuce?


Or other such labels as "fruit spread"? I'm presuming it's the percentage of actual fruit or some kind of industry standards. Or is there an overlap or range of percentages where you can choose whichever label you want for your product?


On iTunes there is a application called More Toast where you have a choice of bread and toppings and you can make your own toast. There is already a big list of toppings you can spread on your toast and iTunes updates it often with new spreads, suggested by people. What topping do you think should be added to the list?

I suggest some of those little silver balls you get ontop of cakes, or some marmite or pate. What do you think?
10 POINTS !!

Here is what they already have:
Butter (spread and pats)
- Strawberry Jam
- Grape Jelly
- Peanut Butter
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Syrup
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Sugar
- Peach Preserves
- Orange Marmalade
- Lemon Curd
- Honey
- Nutella
- Marshmallow Creme (Fluff)
- Icing
- Eggs
- Bacon
- Lettuce
- Tomato
- Swiss Cheese
- Ham
- American Cheese
- Whipped Cream
- Sprinkles
- Strawberries
- Blueberries
- Raspberries
- Bananas
- Chocolate Chips
OMG They should so add baked beans!
Or grated cheese! I've just realised they don't have either of them.
Chocolate sauce too!





I live in rural Egypt and there are no canning jars and sealing lids to be found. I have access to all the ingredients I need to make sweet pickles but have no way to preserve them safely.
Is it possible to use other glass jars such as mayonnaise or jelly jars and seal the sweet pickles in them with paraffin like i have used in sealing jam?
I need someone with a great imagination, to help me think of some way to preserve them. I can get dill and salty pickles anywhere, but I cannot find sweet pickles other than sweet relish, which is not what I am craving.
Please, I need some people to get their creative minds working on this one for me.
Thanks from Egypt


Today, I haven't had that much to eat-a little ravioli, some Easy cheese, half of a cheese stick and half of a tuna fish sandwich. (I have a high metabolism.)
Here are the contents of my fridge:
A carton of milk
A carton of half-and-half
A jug of drinkable strawberry-banana yogurt
A jug of maple syrup
A jar of pickles
A jar of salsa
A jar of tartar sauce
A jar of jam
A carton of heavy whipping cream
A container of plain yogurt
A container of cream cheese
3 sticks of butter
A jar of blackberry preserves
A tub of shredded ricotta cheese
A carton of grade AA eggs
A bag of string beans
A jar of green pepper jelly
A jar of red pepper jelly
A wedge of sharp cheddar cheese
A jar of bleu cheese dressing
A jar of mayonnaise
A bag of spinach
A bag of celery
A bag of cilantro
A bottle of mustard
A bottle of ketchup
A bottle of soy sauce
A bottle of horse radish

Is there anything interesting that I can whip up to eat?


What is the difference between jelly, jam, preserves and marmalade?


That is assuming you like berries.
And do you buy fresh, frozen, canned, preserved or jam (jelly) varieties?





I wanted to start a new hobby on preserving jams and jellies and maybe tomato sauces / salsa therefore i need to find out if i can find jars for storage in Divisoria and where exactly. Thank you.


A friend just gave me some canned jellies in large jars. Would it be ok to open the jars and put some of the jelly in the freezer? My grandmother makes freezer jam so I know you can freeze jam but I didn't know about taking it out of a preserved jar and then putting it in the freezer. Thanks!!


okay, me and my mom want to start an internet bakery, were gonna sell cookies, cupcakes, brownies, fudge, jellies, jams, preserved fruits, and dog and cat bicuits. its gonna be all totally home grown and homemade. weve already established prices and stuff, but how do we go about getting the:
-domain name and website?
-what do i do as far as getting my business recognized by the govt. and sale taxes and stuff.
-how do you do the shipping cost? do you have to take the packaged product to the local post offic, or is their something else i have to do?

we want this to be continental u.s. only.

basically all we have is the product and a business name.
i can set up a website and stuff cuz im good at html...

so how do i go about getting legal and stuff?


I really want to make up a big batch of either strawberry jam, jelly or preserves, but I dont know how. Can someone please help me?





you know how jelly and jello have like animal bones and fur mixed in? well does preserves have that too?


Which flavor of spread do you prefer ?


*please star--thank you





Okay - I've decided to enter the world of canning and preserving our own food, but I'm not finding alot of information locally. The only books I have found about canning refer to jams, jellies, and preserves....or fresh garden vegetables.

We frequently share cooked foods with people who are shut in, sick or whatever - but it isn't always possible to get to the store and get something cooked in time when they need it most. We usually fix comfort foods like Beef Stew, Chicken and Dumplings, or Spaghetti Sauce.

I also have a recipe for Chicken and rice soup that everyone seems to like - especially when they're getting over the flu.

Before I invest in this any further (purchasing water bath and pressure canners, labeling supplies, etc), I'm curious to know: Is it possible to can these recipes as-is, or would things like potatoes in stew go mushy or would the canning process impact the amount of seasonings I should use (etc)?

More importantly, would canning foods like this pose more of a food safety issue than canning basic fruits, veggies or preserves?

The entire process is a mystery to me for now, but I know I can learn to do it....I just don't want to make the investment if what I truly want to do isn't recommended.

Thank you!
BTW - if you have any favorite resources (books, suppliers, etc) - would you be sure to include that information? Thanks!


Where to find naturally no or low sugar jam/jelly/preserve for Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?
The only ones I can find like that have Splenda or sucralose or nutrasweet. I find regular ones too sweet for my taste...
I live in Southern California


For PBJ? And what kind or peanut butter, smooth, crunchy, or chunky.
Also what bread? White, brown, square, rectangle, oat, grain, walnut, or other bread?
Because PBJ is beauty & making it is style. lol


What's the difference between jelly, jam, preserves, marmalade, or any other smashed fruit spread?

does it depend on the type of fruit? is this why i can't find raspberry marmalade or orange jelly?





I was able to find it (pomeganate jelly) online at albetsons.com but I can't figure out if I can pick it up at store and I wanted to know if there was anywhere else that I can buy it... if you know or have any suggestions let me know. Thanks so much for you help! :)


I am making chutneys, pickles, pepper sauce, jams, jellies etc and am looking for a great selling name. Any suggestions?


The characters in my story have no access to civilization.

They have planted apples, peaches, pears, cherries, plums, oranges, grapefruit, lemons, pineapple and maple, but these will not yield for years.

They also have strawberries, grapes and raspberries, which may produce a crop in the first season.

They are able to pickle their vegetables (tomatoes, cucumbers, et al.) with salt and vinegar for preservation.

But I would like them to have an alternative to sun drying their fruits. Where does pectin come from, anyway?

They don't have alcohol (yet) and so can't make brandied fruits, either.

I'm open to ideas, and thanks.


Thanks For Your Help!!


trying to make cookies and i need to know what the difference is in these items


Is it ingredients, or cooking, or combination of both, or none of the above?


I would like to find someplace that has an extensive selection of the small (1.5 oz) sizes of jams and jellies and preserves, etc.











Which do you prefer and why?


jams and jellies


What is the difference between jam, jelly, and preserves? And which do you prefer?


Jelly, jam and preserves?


I need the butter not jam, jelly or preserves. If you know a place between Downtown and the Galleria that would be great but I will travel to get it for her. PLEASE HELP !!


Whats better to have fun.





DOWN HOME

A simple house of three rooms,
A pantry and enclosed back porch.
Beside the front door Pampas grass
Spider ladies, red salvia,
Black eyed Susans and nasturtiums
Bank the front, on the side
Castor bean and flowering quince.
Behind there is a garden
With sweet corn, tomatoes and kale,
Mustard greens, beets, and turnips
Poke weed that yields both ink
And poke salat in the spring
There is also a place where
The razor back hogs are slopped
That are also allowed to roam
The hickory woods beyond.

A brick lined well was
Twenty feet below the house
With a bucket on a rope
Sitting on the cover of the well.
Fresh water, the sweetest
Ever I drank was in a stainless
Steel bucket on the porch
With a ladle for drinking,
Cooking and washing,
A porcelained basin sat
On a bench with towel
And brown home-made soap
For washing both hands and dishes.
The water with food from plates
And leftovers was thrown
To slop the hogs, from which
We got home cured bacon
And country ham
A sixteen pound slab
Was in the ice box,
Black rind still attached
Next to a glass quart of milk
With standing cream
Bought daily along with
Dozen eggs and Mellow Creme
Donuts and fluffy white bread.

A kerosene three burnered stove
That lit with explosive force
Served to cook, though no meals
Were served, it was simply set out
For any who were hungry
Along with a gallon of iced tea
In the middle of the kitchen table
Sweetened and with lemon slices
For guests who came and went.

In the kitchen clutter there were
Glasses of jams, jellies, and preserves,
A gallon jar of pickles, spiced apples
Pickled pigs' feet, hard summer sausage
Head cheese and a crock of kraut.
Apple slices and stringed beans
Hung to dry alongside herbs,
Dishes were few and washed frequently
As were pots and pans.
A large coffee pot on the stove
Boiled coffee. grounds settled with
A whole raw egg, shell and all.
It also heated water for washing.

The pantry also served
As a place to shave with basin
And mirror no bigger than a face,
It too held the ten gallon
Galvanized square tub
For Saturday baths in the back yard,
Towels and clothes spread out
On the poke and sassafras.
Pot-bellied coal stove
With isinglass windows
Heated the house, kindled by
Newspaper from the stacks
On the back porch next to
The cases of beer in bottles.

The bedroom held a double bed
And dresser, as well as a walk in closet,
Other sleepers were accommodated on
A couch in the front room, or pallets
Of quilts on the floor, there were
Two overstuffed chairs to sit and chat
A cherry drop leaf table and end table
Both held kerosene lamps for reading

A� ALBERT K. JUNGERS FEBRUARY 2, 2008, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.


This was my grandmother's house, one of the places I grew up. Today it is under the Interstate cloverleaf, where I-64 crosses I-57 in the middle of our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment