Thursday, October 29, 2009

recipes for fig preserves

My maternal grandmother had a fig tree in her yard, and I remember watching her peel them at the kitchen counter. Thinking that they looked squishy and gross, I didn't like figs for a long time. Homemade fig preserves never lasted long ...Sweet and salty are a great pair in sandwiches, and this recipe has intensely flavored salty prosciutto paired with candylike fig preserves. Three minutes of grilling and pressing makes the fontina nice and gooey and the whole sandwich ...I forged on and made sandwich cookies with my honey fig curd. Use your favorite lemon curd recipe, and replace the lemon juice with some warmed fig preserves/jelly/puree, and cut up to half the sugar and replace it with honey. ...I had about half a gallon of figs, and ended up with a little over a quart of preserves. I looked over a few different recipes and procedures for fig making, and after looking at some that involved baking soda, anise seed, ...Guest post, recipe, tutorial and photos contributed by Chloe Tuttle, Owner, Big Mill Bed & Breakfast, Williamston, NC Here in the United States, there.(this is to clarify old recipe--deep golden color and begining to thicken.) Pour into sterilized jars. Cool until not real hot, (about 30 minutes.) Pour melted parafin over fig preserves while they are still sort of hot. ...Adventures with gluten-free whole grains and natural ingredients.I can't think of a thing that I would change about this recipe. The sweet, cinnamony fig jam worked perfectly with the sweetened chevre and the no-fail cream cheese pastry crust from The Art and Soul of Baking . ...l have searched the web and have come up empty handed... Anyone have any recipes to make some type of preserves using these dried fig pieces? I think fresh.Put crushed figs and water in a pot; cook for 30 minutes. Add sugar; mix well. Stir in jello. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes more until thick. Pour into sterilized jars and seal while hot.
I hate when recipes require all these extra things you don't really need and you have to go crazy getting all this stuff. Also, I know you don't really need pectin. I have a recipe that does not require it that I got online, but I thought maybe a few more I could try.





Have many large very ripe figs, need to make perverse for wedding favors anyone know a tasty jam recipe, can be fig mixed as well


easy recipe for makinf fig preserves


I have a couple of pints of preserved figs and I'm looking for some simple recipes where I can use them. I've looked online for fig bars and such and most of the recipes call for dried or fresh figs. I also have a bunch of pecans I would like to use, so any recipes that incorporate both of these ingredients would be great.


Please do not give me links to recipes. I know how to use a search engine, unlike some people who ask things here.

I want opinions of cooks.


My Nana used to make a cake called a Poor Man's Cake. It was an old Tangier Island family recipe. It had fig preserves and watermelon rind preserves in it. It was kind of heavy, like a fruit cake, but tasted nothing like a fruit cake. I have the recipe she wrote down, but there is something missing because mine turns out hard as a doorstop. She passed away, so the recipe may have gone to the grave with her. Anybody ever heard of this cake or have a recipe?








l have searched the web and have come up empty handed... Anyone have any recipes to make some type of preserves using these dried fig pieces?


One made with sugar and one, more tart, made sugar-free. Thanks in advance for your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment